The Import Groups tool allows Instructors to easily create multiple groups in their UTSOnline site and add users to those groups. What differentiates this bulk group tool from the UTS Batch Group Enrolment tool is that the Import Groups tool enables a greater level of group customisation when performing bulk group operations. However, if you just need to quickly create groups using the default group settings and add students to those groups, it is recommended you use the UTS Batch Group Enrolment tool.
Accessing the Import Groups Tool *
To access the Import Groups tool, navigate to the Control Panel in your UTSOnline site, expand the Users and Groups menu, and select Groups. This will open the Groups page. Under the Groups header, click on the Import button to access the Import Groups tool (see image below).
The Import Groups tool has three sections for creating/managing groups in your UTSOnline site:
- Import Group Members: Use this section to upload a CSV file for adding members to groups. This will only work if the groups already exist.
- Import Groups: Use this section to upload a CSV file for creating/updating groups.
- Tool Availability: Use this section to select what tools are enabled when creating/updating groups.
Creating groups using the Import Groups tool *
You can create multiple groups by uploading a CSV file to the Import Groups tool. Each row in the CSV file represents the group to be created including the settings applied to that group. Because you can have multiple rows in the CSV file, you can create as many groups as you want with their own unique group settings in a single file upload. To help you get started, download the following Excel file which contains the columns you need to populate before uploading:
import_groups (XLSX, 9.73KB)
When building this file, do not delete the column headers. Below is a description of each column in the CSV file (listed in order) and whether data in the column is mandatory:
Mandatory columns (column needs to populated):
- Group Code (column A): Group codes are unique identifiers used strictly for import purposes. Group codes are needed to provide a way to identify each group in case they have the same name. The Group Code can be the same name as the Title of the group.
- Title (column B): The name of the Group.
Optional columns (no data required although column still needs to be included in the CSV):
- Description (column C): Text to describe the group. If empty, no text will appear under the Group Description.
- Group Set (column D): The set of groups this group will belong to. If empty, the group will be created as a single group.
- Available (column E): The group availability. This is either ‘Y’ (available) or ‘N’ (unavailable). If empty, the group will be unavailable when created.
- Personalization (column F): Allow members of the group to add personal modules that only they can see. This is either ‘Y’ (Yes) or ‘N’ (No). If empty, personalization will be off.
- Self Enroll (column G): Allow students to add themselves to a group using a sign-up sheet. This is either ‘Y’ (Yes) or ‘N’ (No). If empty, students will not be able to add themselves to the group i.e. the group will be created as a Manual Enrol group.
- Max Enrollment (column H): Only for Self Enroll groups. This is a number value that indicates how many students can join this group. If empty, group membership numbers will be unlimited.
- Show Members (column I): Only for Self Enroll groups. Allow users to see others who have already signed up for this group. This is either ‘Y’ (Yes) or ‘N’ (No). If empty, signed up members will not be shown.
- Sign Up From Group List (column J): Only for Self Enroll groups. Allow users to access the sign-up sheet from the Groups tool (if enabled for users). This is either ‘Y’ (Yes) or ‘N’ (No). If empty, users will not be able to sign up to this group from the Groups tool i.e. they would have to do it via the content area instead.
- Sign Up Name (column K): Only for Self Enroll groups. The name of of the sign-up sheet. If empty, no name will be provided.
- Sign Up Instructions (column L): Only for Self Enroll groups. A description for signing up. This information is optional, but can help users understand expectations and any limitations to signing up.
When you have finished building the groups file, save the file as CSV (Comma delimited .csv). Below is a screenshot of a sample file:
To upload the CSV file, open the Import Groups tool and click on the Browse My Computer button in the Import Groups section (see image below):
Once you have selected the CSV file, scroll down to the Tool Availability section of the Import Groups tool and select the tools that you would like enabled in the groups listed in the CSV file. Click on the Submit button when complete to process the CSV file. You will receive an email once all the groups have been created and configured.
Adding users to groups using the Import Groups tool *
Once you have groups created in your UTSOnline site, you can add users to those groups by uploading a CSV file to the Import Groups tool. The CSV file required for uploading only requires two columns (a column header row is not required):
- Column A: The Group Code of the group the user will be added to. The Group Code is usually the same as the Group name.
- Column B: The User ID of the user to be added to the group in column A
Each row in the CSV file represents a group/user pairing (see sample image below):
When you have finished building the groups file, save the file as CSV (Comma delimited .csv). To upload the CSV file, open the Import Groups tool and click on the Browse My Computer button in the Import Group Members section (see image below):
Once you have selected the CSV file, scroll down and click on the Submit button to process the CSV file. You will receive an email once all members have been added to groups.