Captivate is an e-learning tool that can be used to create software demonstrations, software simulations, branched scenarios, and presentations (with embedded quizzes!) in Flash and HTML 5 format. It can also be used for screencasts, podcasts, and the conversion of MS PowerPoint presentations.
Captivate also allows you to create projects that will respond to different mobile devices. The previous versions of the software lacked adequate ability to design for multiple platforms or at least to do this smoothly. Captivate 8 handles this well. This responsive design feature can be a powerful incentive to use this software but Captivate does have a big learning curve and you will need to invest time to gain mastery.
A plus in using Captivate is its ability to publish a SCORM package that can be uploaded to UTSOnline for delivery to students. If your upload contains embedded quiz questions you can opt to record quiz scores in the grade centre. You can even opt for grade centre to just record whether your object was viewed.
If you have a project for which you think Captivate would be suitable, request a trial via our online form: Captivate Trial
If you would like to access resources and more detailed guides for Captivate, enrol yourself in the New Learning Environments Community site in UTSOnline. It is quick and easy. Just follow the steps in the short video guide below:
Frequently Asked Questions about Captivate at UTS
- How do I publish a SCORM package from Captivate for UTSOnline?
- How do I perform video screen capturing in Captivate?
- How do I import my MS PowerPoint slides into Adobe Captivate?
- How to create sets of questions and direct students based on their results?
How do I make my Captivate projects compatible with UTSOnline SCORM?
- File> Publish Setting> Quiz> Reporting:
- Enable reporting for this project need to be selected
- Other standard LMSs from drop down menu, is the required learning management system for UTSOnline.
- Within Standard drop down menu, SCORM 2004 is the required Sharable Content Object Reference Model for UTSOnline.
- In Configuration users can select 4th Here Quiz Identifier and Titles are merely required for personal references. For example, if users are required to have different categories of questions, they are recommended to choose different identifiers. Different identifiers are quite helpful at the time of generating reports of students’ result from UTSOnline SCORM.
After above setting, your SCORM package is ready to be published for UTSOnline SCORM. Now you can press OK button and close the “Preferences” window.
- File> Publish> Project Title:
- Project Title is the name that after uploading projects, users wish to display within UTSOnline.
- Folder is the location that project is being published. Users are advised to keep their published projects in the same folder that they keep their Captivates files.
- Output Format Options:
- In case of having viewers from a wide variety of platforms, it is recommended to select only HTML5 here.
- If your users are only viewing your projects within Windows, then you can select both HTML5 and SWF options.
Note: You might receive a warning in case of choosing HTML5 option only, however, you can ignore the warning message and proceed with publishing your project as normal.
- Output Options:
- Running Captivate projects within SCORMs is only required ZIP files option to be selected.
- Users can select Exporting to PDF in case they wish to have their projects in PDF formats. This Option helps viewers to be able to print their educational materials or download and save them.
How do I perform video screen capturing in Captivate?
- File> Record New Video Demo
- This feature allows users to capture either their customised screen size or, one specific application window. For implementing this feature of Adobe Captivate the required application needs to be up and running before proceeding with Screen capturing. For example, if users wish to record Skype Window, they need to have Skype application already open.
Note: Users are best recommended to leave the rest of the options as default. However, if they wish to customise configurations they can select settings button here.
- After completing with screen capturing, press Captivate icon to finish with recording. Auto full screen demo of the recorded video is going to be displayed immediately afterward, and by pressing ESC button users are redirected to Adobe Captivate program.
- File> Publish
- Here users can modify their video size, or they can directly publish their recorded video to YouTube by selecting Publish to YouTube option.
Note: Format of the recorded video is MP4.
How do I import my MS PowerPoint slides into Adobe Captivate?
- File> New Project> Project From MS PowerPoint
- This feature allows users to deploy their already created PowerPoint files within Captivate projects.
- Users are highly recommended to have each PowerPoint file within a separate folder, as making any changes in the slides from Adobe Captivate program will be directed to the same PowerPoint file. For this purpose, users are required to right click on each slide and chose Edit with Microsoft PowerPoint option.
Note: Users are advised not to have any setting like slide duration or Animations within the slides before deploying them in Adobe Captivate. Having slides effects or slide durations can create conflict with pre-default formats of Adobe Captivate slides.